Skip to content ↓

Bursary Award

Whilst completing the form, please read these notes carefully, and contact the Clerk to the Governors if further information or advice is required. The form will open in a new window in order that you can reference these notes during completion. Whilst completing your application do not close your browser as the information will not be saved until you submit the form.


These are defined as:

  • the natural father and mother of the child where they live together (whether or not they are married to each other) and the child normally resides with them both in the same household; or
  • the parent of the child with whom the child normally resides and the partner (if any) of that parent where the partner normally resides with that parent and the child in the same household; or
  • the child’s guardian appointed in accordance with section 5 of the Children Act 1989 (or any earlier enactment) and the partner (if any) of that guardian where the partner normally resides with that guardian and the child in the same household; or
  • the person with whom the child resides in accordance with either: i. a subsisting residence order made under section 8 of the Children Act 1989; or ii. any subsisting court order (other than a residence order) which specifies who is to have actual custody or care and control of the child; or
  • where a pupil either has no parents as defined above or the school is satisfied that no such parents can be found, and he is either looked after by a local authority or provided with accommodation within the meaning of section 105(1) of the Children Act 1989, the pupil shall be treated as one whose parents have no income for the purposes of the scheme; or
  • where none of the above applies, the parent is the person with whom the pupil normally resides in accordance with any informal care or fostering arrangement and that person’s partner (if any) where the partner normally resides with that person and the pupil in the same household.
  • If parents are separated or divorced before or while their child attends the School, both mother and father will be required to complete and sign the Application Form.

In addition to taking account of all relevant sources of income, the Charity takes account of the following assets:

  • The capital sum of any monies on deposit with any bank, deposit taker or building society.
  • Investments in stocks and shares, valued as near as possible to the date of submitting the application form.
  • The current market value of your principal residence.
  • If you run your own business or are partners in a business, then you should show the net worth of the business. Shares in a company not listed on a stock exchange should be valued at the relevant proportion of the net value of the company.
  • In the case of second homes and/or other properties, these should also be included at their estimated current market value; no allowance will be made for any outstanding mortgage.
  • Where the child has any unearned income, eg interest from National Savings, bank or building society deposits, or receives share dividends, you should enter the source of income and the gross amount received before deduction of any tax. You should enter the capital value of any beneficiary or other trust set up for each child.
  • Where a Trust Deed has been drawn in favour of the child for whom you are applying, details of the annual amount available and the date of commencement of payment under the Deed should be given.
  • Enter capital as well as interest payment on a mortgage for the principal residence.
  • Include bank overdraft and other loan charges incurred during the year (specifying the purpose of the loan).
  • Details of other liabilities should be provided along with the lender
  • The gross annual amount of salaries and wages, including any earnings from profit related pay, part-time employment and any sum received as bonus, commission etc, statutory sick pay, statutory maternity pay giving GROSS amounts (before deduction of tax, NI, superannuation, etc) for the 2020/21 tax year.
  • Taxable benefits in kind agreed with the Inland Revenue should also be shown (free or subsidised housing, meals, petrol, cars, etc) – at the amount agreed for taxable purposes.
  • Profits from a business or profession – at the amount of GROSS income agreed by HMIT or relevant tax authority for the year in question (deductions should be made only in respect of capital allowances, losses and stock relief). Copies of the latest set of accounts should be included.
  • All other Investment income (eg interest or National Savings Bank deposits; dividends, annuities etc) should be entered GROSS of tax. If tax were deducted at source, parents should add in the amount of tax paid or tax credit notified. Building Society interest must be disclosed GROSS.
  • All social security benefits and tax credits received should be declared and type of benefit specified.
NOTE 5. Court Orders, Legal Separation Agreements and Voluntary Arrangements for School Fees –  
  • Where a parent is required by a Court Order, or a legal binding separation agreement (eg Deed of Separation) to pay part of the School fees, then only that part of the fee which is not covered by the Court Order/agreement will be used to calculate any grant to be awarded. This is irrespective of whether or not the order or agreement is being complied with. Where the whole amount of the fees are required to be paid by virtue of a Court Order or separation agreement, applicants are not eligible for a grant. You should indicate how many years are payable and any annual variations. All receipts relating to maintenance payments, separation allowances and sums in respect of Child Support Maintenance must be declared.
  • Enter income from letting or subletting of property at the amount of the NET profit agreed with the Inland Revenue; and royalties and all other sources including entertainment and travel allowances etc.
  • Enter any other of your children who are unmarried and at a school, university or other educational institution which attracts a county grant.
  • Members of HM Forces and Diplomatic Service should include the amount of any Education Allowance which they receive. Parents in other occupations should include any similar sum.
  • Insurance Policies for School Fees – If any insurance policy for the payment of School fees exists, then the amount declared is the amount receivable under the policy for the academic year for which the application is being made. If the insurance policy covers the full cost of the tuition fees, then the pupil is not eligible for a grant. The types of policy concerned are those which stipulate that the company shall pay the school fees, in whole or in part, to the school in respect of the pupil.
  • Please enter any details which may affect the assessment of an Award, e.g. a significant change in income or outgoings for the 2022/23 tax year.

The Charity reserves the right to seek any other documentary evidence in support of the income and asset figures submitted, and to make enquiries which it deems necessary.

All financial values should be shown in Sterling. References to Inland Revenue should include the relevant national Taxation Authority.